Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Shackin' up

I have arrived at the Shackup Inn (I'm in the Fullilove Shack) and I must say it defies description. I'll try a little later, but it's like nothing I've ever seen. The guest "book" is full of people from the UK, Belgium, Norway, etc. I have to wonder just how they ended up here. As for amenities, ... There is a TV, but it only gets the Sirius blues channel. Oh, there's also a guitar, but I didn't stick with my lessons. Sigh. Amazingly, though, there is wireless internet. How 'bout that? I'm thinking of heading down to Ground Zero (Morgan Freeman's blues club) tonight, but I haven't decided for sure.

As for the drive over -- even that was fun. Of course I stopped in Oxford and had a delicious cheeseburger. I'd forgotten how much better Oxford is when school is out. I stopped in Square Books and Off Square Books. I bought a book and played with the resident cat in OSB, but the most amazing thing happened when I went to check out. The clerk rang me up and took my cash and then he looked at my shirt and asked, "Is that caffeine on your shirt?" I didn't even realize what shirt I was wearing, so I assumed I'd just had a "spillage". Nope, the guy just knew his chemistry. Unfortunately I didn't run into Joey Lauren Adams this time; I'm sure she wouldn't have been able to resist my charm a second time.

UPDATE: I just back from the Ground Zero Blues Club. I don't know how much time y'all have ever spent in the Delta, but let me tell you -- GZBC has to be the whitest spot in all the Delta. And the blues band playing tonight was just mediocre. Still, it's what one does, other than visiting Robert Johnson's crossroads, when one is in Clarksdale, MS with nothing else to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home