Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Another plug

I know I've extolled its virtues before, but forgive me for once more plugging Pandora -- the internet "radio" station that you customize to your heart's content. Thanks to Pandora, I've found several new artists that I really like. My latest fav is a guy named JJ Schultz who is obscure enough that even Amazon didn't have his music readily available.

So I ordered one of his albums from iTunes. I like the immediate delivery of iTunes, but I miss the liner notes and especially the lyrics sheets that some CDs come with. This was especially vexing with this album because it has a song called "Speed Train" that is just a fabulous "driving around in the Jeep with the top down, sing along song," but I couldn't figure out a couple of the lyrics.

On a lark, I tried emailing JJ to see if he could point me to a lyrics site. This morning, I had a reply:
Hi St. Caffeine - really cool to hear from you. I attached the charts that I used
when teaching my band the songs - hope they help. I was just looking them
over, and it looks like I got kind of lazy on a couple of the songs, so if
there's something you can't figure out, just drop me a line.

Nah, no southern tours right now. I've just been playing shows around
California for the last few months - I've been in the studio working on a
new record. Hopefully I'll release it this summer. Where're you located? -
I'll drop you an email if I pass your way on tour to promote the new album.

That's cool you're on pandora. I'm on there too:
http://www.pandora.com/people/jerodschultz

See, stuff like this is why I think the record labels are making a HUGE mistake by fighting internet music rather than embracing it. Pandora, for instance, is fighting a big battle for its very survival right now. Basically the suits want Pandora to pay even heftier royalties. I'll save that whole issue for another day, but I can say, for absolute certain, JJ Schultz made a sale and picked up a fan he'd never have captured without something like Pandora.

Anyway, I just find the whole thing very cool and I encourage you to start your own Pandora station if you're looking for new music.

1 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently started listening to Pandora during the day at work and I was introduced to wonderful music of JJ Schultz! I fell in love with the song Speed Train and did a google search to find the lyrics, which is how I came across your blog. Anyway just wanted to say thanks for blogging and could you please possibly share those lyrics?? Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home