Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A matter of timing

I did make it to the balloon launch (I'll post pix later) at Point Mallard Saturday morning, but the big news of the weekend was my attempted trip to Nashville.

A friend and I decided a quick trip to the Music City would be a nice holiday weekend diversion. I picked her up Sunday morning and we were on our merry was up I-65 when my car suddenly and completely died -- right there on the interstate, at 75 mph, she just quit. Fortunately the road wasn't crowded so I was able to get over on the shoulder and coast to a stop. Unfortunately, I was not able to get it restarted. Also unfortunately, (as has been noted before) I do not have a cell phone. Most unfortunately (for me), my friend does. Hence, I've had to put up with much grief ever since. Things like, "NOW don't you wish you had a cell phone? HUH?" Of course my answer has been, "No, I don't need one as long as everyone else has one!" It's classic freeriding, I know, but in all honesty -- the time may have come.

I've been aware, for some time now, that "number portability" means you can take your number with you from provider to provider, but my old pal Thailand Jeff now tells me you can even get your landline number switched to a cell phone. Now if that is the case, then there's really not much reason for me to hold out. I (really) hate to admit it, but there seems to be no reason for me NOT to just give up the landline and get a cell phone instead -- assuming I can just keep my current number. WAIT -- hold off on the "I told you so" comments just a bit, I haven't given in yet. I can still think of a couple of objections.

First, it seems to me that I often have trouble hearing people when I'm talking to them on a cell. It seems much better than it used to be, but sometimes it's still a problem. That's tolerable in a pinch, but I don't think I could live with the, "Huh, what'd you say?" as my only phone option. Second, I'd have to keep up with the thing. See, even if I were to get one, I'd NOT (at least I'd fight it as long as I could) strap that thing to my side to be with me 24/7. If I didn't keep it on me, though, I'm sure I'd leave it at home (defeating the very purpose that might lead me to get one) or at the office (and be without a phone at home). My proposed solution to that would be to just leave the thing in the car unless I'm at home.

A few caveats are in order. First, I willingly admit I probably would not stick with this. I know lots of people who began their cell phone lives that way, but now they would not more think of going out in public without their phones than they would without their clothes. I'd like to think I'd fight hard not to, but I figure eventually I'd probably cave. Most importantly, though, is there a possibility of damaging the phone by leaving it in a hot car (I'm in AL after all) all day? Ooh, also ... Does anyone know if you really can transfer a landline number to a cell phone?

I know lots of you are (deservedly) chuckling with glee at the prospect of my getting a cell phone, but I've looked a tiny little bit at some websites and basic packages seem to cost about the same as I'm paying for the landline. If I really can just take my current number, and if consistent reception is not a problem, and ... (all those other issues) Well then, it really does seem to make sense.

Okay, go ahead and fire away, but I'd also appreciate it if you could share answers to any of my questions/issues above. Also, any suggestions for providers to seek our or avoid?

By the way, the problem with the car was the timing belt. Yes, it's one of those things I've MEANT to take care of for months, but I never had. Fortunately it didn't completely come apart and damage any valves/pistons/etc., so the only extra punishment (above and beyond the belts) was that I had to replace a ($114) crankshaft sensor. Oh, the most amazing part of the story, though, is that the service guys at the dealership actually worked yesterday (Memorial Day) so I was able to get the whole thing taken care of on my off day. For a car trouble incident, I figure I really got pretty lucky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home