Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Short trip

Though it was over quickly, the Oxford road trip was a blast. I decided I'd chronicle the trip with photos:

I took my time and got to Oxford mid-afternoon Thursday. After a yummy meal at Newk's and coffee at Uptown Coffee, I headed up to Puskus Lake and set up camp.












After that, I had some time to kill, so I worked Thursday's crossword puzzle and then settled down with a Larry Brown novel -- it seemed appropriate, given where I was. Anyway, the workers at Puskus Lake must get kind of bored because they've made some wonderful improvements since the last time I was there. For instance, several of the campsites now have docks that extend out over the lake.







When I first got to Puskus, there were a couple of other groups of people fishing, playing, etc. By sunset, however, I was the ONLY person on the lake. There wasn't much moon Thursday night, so the dock was a wonderful place to stare up at the stars and the planes on their way to Memphis. Very serene.









Though it was a little chilly Thursday night, it was almost perfect camping weather. If possible, the lake was even prettier and more peaceful the next morning.












Finally it was time to break camp and head back home. No trip through that area, though, would be complete without a stop at Elvis' birthplace. No, I do not know the woman. It was the closest I could get to a clean shot.











While this one doesn't really fit into the travelogue, I just couldn't let it pass. It's hard to make out the details, but this is a "steer" made out of a 55 gallon drum and some metal tubing and such. I can only speculate that the owner uses it to hone his roping skills. Oh in case you're wondering, yes the barn lot also was populated with 5 or 6 hound dogs. They just fit.









All-in-all it was a great trip. I'm thinking of making it an annual event.



4 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

lovely sunset shot

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make the trip sound so perfect and the pictures are beautiful...I wish I had been there -- minus the camping part of course. I haven't been to Oxford in awhile. I'm jealous.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Thanks, Vol, but WHERE'S CLETUS? Sorry, I had to ask.

Ang, I cannot believe that you haven't been to Oxford in a while. Don't you guys practically have a second home up there? Never fear, football season will return soon enough. Seriously, though, you should consider camping at Puskus. I'm sure it'd change your whole opiniono of sleeping on the ground.

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm more likely to picnic at Puskus than I am to sleep on the ground.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home