Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Things that make my job miserable

This.
ASHINGTON ESTATES, Fla. (AP) - For most high school students, the perfect
grade point average is a four-point-zero. But that wasn't good enough for one
Hillsborough County student who graduated with a mind-boggling
eight-point-zero-eight G-P-A.
[...]
Rumela says she could have scored an even higher G-P-A if she had known
about all the Advanced Placement and online course options available to her in
ninth grade.

I'm sure Rumela is a good student, but I see way too many "A-students" who cannot or will not do the work I expect. While I expect Ms. Das does not fall in that category, I just don't see how telling a student she is "double perfect" (based on the old-style grading scale) can be a good thing for her future profs. Sigh.

On the positive side, I am (mostly) out of my funk. Now I'm just dealing with being busy. For those of you who don't know, currently I teach a 2 hour course here in Decatur and then rush to Huntsville to teach another class 30 minutes later. Normally I can make the commute in about 23 minutes. Tomorrow, though, I may get caught up in traffic from this. He's supposed to arrive at noon and I usually zoom past the airport exit about 12:25.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home