Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Monday, June 02, 2008

Worst week ever!

I know I've been away for a while, but cut me some slack. First, I took some time off before the start of summer school. Then, though, the world began to conspire against me.

Last Monday I went to TN to visit the parents. On my way home I evidently ran over something because I had a "flat to the ground" tire the next morning. As I suspected, it could not be repaired and I had to buy a new tire. Then, on Tuesday night, part of a giant tree behind my house fell and took out a utility pole and power lines for my whole block. The force ripped electrical connections from my house and required repair by an electrician. Not only that, the electrician told me that because the utility company pulled the meter, there would have to be an official inspection of my electrical system before the city would sign off on repairs. Of course my house is quite old, so that required a whole new breaker box and much new wiring. Finally on Saturday I got all that done and power was restored. All is good, right?

Almost.

I mentioned that PART of a giant tree fell. Well the rest is still standing -- I hope. I had someone come over to give me an estimate for taking the tree down and they expressed much concern about the condition of the remaining tree. They didn't come out and say it, but I got the impression they were concerned whether it would continue to stand until they could get to it. I talked to the utility company, but they said it was my tree so it was my problem. As of now I'm holding my breath and waiting. The tree folks said they'd try to get to me tomorrow (given the "emergency" situation), but we had some light storms last night and a few more showers forecast for today. Of course to me it looks as if the tree is leaning even more this morning, but I'm hoping that's just my overactive imagination. I'm just praying it'll stand 24 more hours AND that the tree service can get to me tomorrow.

My coffee shop crowd has decided "Lucky" is not an appropriate nickname for me these days.

P.S. Oh and I forgot my bout of food poisoning from Friday night!!! Yes, I'm through whining now -- as long as the tree stands up long enough to be cut down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home