Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Who the heck is Joe Nichols?

Though some of you know this about me, others may find it a bit surprising -- back in my high school days I was the world's biggest hick. I hung out with a group of guys who measured your cool factor by just how many different colors your Fruit of the Loom pocket t-shirt collection included. I don't remember the exact answer, but it was more than enough for a different color each day of the week. Oooh, the requisite ensemble also included cowboy boots (of course) and a red Co-Op hat. If you have to ask, "What's a Co-Op hat?", then don't bother -- you wouldn't get it anyway.

Eventually I began to leave that lifestyle behind. Though I've still got a lot of hick in me (for instance, folks still make fun of the way I say "insurance" -- that pronunciation actually came up in the movie Marnie), you should have seen me back when. Heck, I even wear khaki pants most days of the week now and I'll admit that they're often more comfortable than jeans. Still, it's been a long journey.

One of the things that has changed over the years has been my feeling toward country music. Needless to say, in my colored t-shirt and cowboy boots days I was all over it. As the years passed, though, I became less fond of the twang. To this day, I'm torn over country music. Part of this is due to the fact I changed, but a lot of it is due to changes within the musical form. I absolutely detest most all the current "hat acts" -- pretty boys with biceps, sleeveless shirts, and perfect white cowboy hats. I also abhor the country songbirds (e.g., Faith Hill) who have great voices, but wouldn't know a good lyrical storyline if it hit them on the noggin. Of course there are exceptions. For instance, I really like the Dixie Chicks despite their "pop-country" style. The kind of country music I do like, though, is old country -- Merle, Johnny, Patsy, Loretta, etc. -- and one local radio station still plays that stuff. The other day, though, I heard a bit of an interview with this guy named Joe Nichols on the radio and I'm thinking I might have to give him a chance.

Though I don't know anything about Joe Nichols, he has a new album out. What caught my attention was that they mentioned one particular song on this album: Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off. Mr. Nichols said EVERYONE has a tequila story and that was his. I haven't heard the song, but I'm thinking of buying the album because he's sooooo right.

I can tell my own tequila story because I wasn't the one "acting the fool". Nope, I was the responsible one that night. Since the main character in the story later became a youth counselor of some sort I won't go into details (you never know how this stuff will come back to haunt you), but let me just say the night included a past Florida lottery winner on the run from her creditors, Lance Armstrong's childhood sweetheart, lots of cheap tequila, and a visit to an Alberta City tattoo and piercing parlor with a large sign proclaiming they WOULD NOT service you if you'd been drinking. The sign was just for show.

So yep, everyone has a tequila story. I'm thinking I'd like to hear Joe Nichols'. Oh, the critics liken his performance on this album to Merle Haggard and George Jones AND I see that he covers Gene Watson's "Should I Come Home (Or Should I Go Crazy) as well as Steve Earle's "My Old Friend The Blues". Yeah, I'm thinking Mr. Nichols might get my $10.99 for this effort.

4 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger ers said...

Want to hear my tequila story? June after freshman year of college. 11pm. I haven't eaten anything since lunch, but I think I'm invincible, and I love tequila. So I take a shot. Chase it with a lime. Take another shot. Chase it with a lime.

Twenty minutes later, I have taken SIXTEEN SHOTS. Thirty minutes later, I've made out with at least 10 different guys with whom I attended high school. Forty-five minutes later, I'm on the floor of the bathroom, proving that it's possible to throw up while unconscious.

To this day, I cannot even smell tequila. If I do, I'll gag. If I taste it, I'll puke. Thus began a long life sans margaritas.

Moral of the story: Kids. Don't overdo that shit.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger melusina said...

I do not have a tequila story.

I do, however, have a Long Island Tea story.

I also have stories that are related to other things.

But not a tequila story.

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

My advice is to never mix tequila and red wine. Never. Not ever. Nope, don't think about it, just don't do it.

Re. country music, my view is that country as it moves more and more into the mainstream has its good and bad periods. Like Rock. There's lots of bad pop/rock about, but I don't diss the art form. Even bad pop bands can come up with a good song now and so it is with 'hat acts'.

"blame it all on my roots, I showed up in boots..."

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Peach said...

If you go to Joe Nichols' official website (www.joenichols.com), it has snippets of his new tunes off his new album, III. I've seen him in concert a few times, and he definitely puts on a great show where he does include cover tunes from Merle or Hank Williams, Jr. sometimes. A couple of his musical influences include Merle Haggard and Gene Watson. Check him out.

Joe is right; everyone does have a Tequila story or some liquor-related story to tell. Mine would be something like Tequila makes silly and fall down!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home