Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Quick note

I'll be back to blogging regularly next week, but I thought I'd post a quick note today.

First, I really have been enjoying my time off. I can see how one would get bored eventually, but I think it'd take more than a week or so for that to set in. How have I been filling my idle hours? Well, I went to see a movie for the first time in ages. I saw The Family Stone. It was a little "cute" for my tastes and a lot of the plot twists were simply preposterous, but all-in-all I enjoyed the flick. I don't see any awards in its future, but it was an enjoyable way to kill an afternoon.

I've also been working my way through (the long version of) The Stand. I'm really enjoying it, though my expectations probably were a little high going in. Still, I've stuck with it through 800+ pages, so I must be liking it, huh? Oh, I also saw this in the paper this morning. They started this "Huntsville Reads" thing a couple of years ago and I felt they picked a horrible book to start with -- All the King's Men. I guess they wanted to seem "highbrow", but to me that's not a book that will suddenly make "non-readers" start reading. I reread it that summer and I enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was the best choice for a "get the folks reading" campaign. The Great Gatsby, on the other hand, is inspired.

Well, off to play in the woods today. I'm trying out my new hydration pack that was a Christmas gift from one of my readers in England. Thanks A.

3 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Aww, I like All The King's Men but you are right - it isn't a book for new readers or a book to convince people to read.

As for the Stand, well, it is good but I never said it was Gatsby good (for one comparison). I like the philosophy/morality of it more than anything, I think it raises some interesting questions.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Yes, I too like the "big picture" aspect of The Stand. Have you, by any chance, read Neil Gaimon's "American Gods"? Though it's "only" 480 pages (according to Amazon), it really does remind me of The Stand. Actually, The Stand with lots and lots of gods from any and all cultures.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger melusina said...

No, but I think I have something else of Gaimon's on my wishlist. Hell, I probably have at least one thing of every writer that has ever existed on my wishlist. I need to whittle it down some. Especially since I probably have nowhere near enough years of life left to read everything.

Gah, now I'm depressed again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home