Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Why ...

did I think walking out into the woods with a 35 pound pack on my back and spending two nights in the cold was a good idea? Could someone remind me?

Regardless, I survived. I'll admit that was in doubt Thursday night. I know I figured I'd underestimated the cold, but I had NO IDEA how much I'd underestimated! I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet the floor of my tent on the bank of the Sipsey River was one of the very coldest spots on Earth that night. Evidence: Friday morning my bag of water was half frozen. I'm not talking about a thin sheet of ice on top; I mean a gallon bag with a 1/2 gallon chunk of ice in it! It was sooo cold. Oh, and then there were the wild hogs.

When I stopped by the Ranger Station to sign in I noticed a flyer explaining how "wild hogs are game too," but I didn't really give it any thought -- until 1:00 the following morning! I'd stayed up, hovering over the fire, for hours, but I finally gave up and went to bed. I honestly had flashbacks to the hypothermia film we had to watch in Hunters' Safety. My winter-rated sleeping bag was doing a pretty good job on everything but my feet, though, so I was just about to drift off to sleep when I heard the most spine-tingling squeal coming out of the night. The thing sounded as if it were being killed in a quite painful fashion. Needless to say, that brought me straight out of my drowsiness. I sat up, turned on my flashlight, and unzipped the window to have a look. I couldn't see anything, though, so I laid back down. Just as I was about to drift off again, I heard multiple hogs making the same noises. Given that I didn't want to end up all "Lord of the Flies", I figured it might behoove me to get up and get a campfire going again. Man, I didn't want to do that!

I did, though, get the fire going again, but the hogs didn't go away. The last one I heard sounded as if he were within 20 yards, hence I wasn't eager to crawl back in the tent and encase myself in a mummy bag that might be the equivalent of a hot dog bun for some crazed porcine! So I ended up sitting by the fire until 3:30 or so when I found I simply couldn't stay awake any longer. Plus, the hog squeals had quieted down so I felt a little more calm. The only problem now was that my tent and sleeping bag had gotten that much colder while I was out by the fire. In the end, though, I slept a few hours and didn't have any further "pig trouble".

I think you'll all understand why, Friday morning, I'd just about decided to come home. In the end, though, the sun came up and that made a huge difference! Not only did it bring some warmth back to the air, but the Sipsey at dawn is a sight to behold. I ended up exploring a little bit around my camping area and then I headed back toward "home" (i.e., the car). I ended up stopping Friday night in a clearing at the confluence of two creeks. It was very pretty and there was a good stock of firewood. Plus, there was a great little hollow by a miniature waterfall where I could pitch my tent. [I've got some pics I'll try to get posted soon.]

Friday night went much better. Chiefly, it wasn't as cold, but I was also a little better prepared. For one, I knew to make my supper before dark. Those little Pocket Rocket stoves are great, but it's hard to tend a pot, keep the flame adjusted, and keep adding fuel to the campfire all at the same time. Maninly, though, it just wasn't as cold. I'm sure the actual temp this morning was pretty chilly, but it seemed balmy by comparison.

Anyway, I walked out this morning and limped back to Decatur. Man am I sore -- quads, hamstrings, deltoids, ... muscles I didn't even know were there! Final verdict -- it was a blast and I can't wait to go again!

Oh, I decided to take "Winter", by Rick Bass, for reading material. He is just such a wonderful writer and reading about winter in EXTREME northern Montana (should have) made me feel warmer (it didn't).

P.S. So, Melusina, ready to retract your questioning of my manhood? I endured extreme cold (and was "stalked" by wild animals) carrying a 35 pound pack for no good reason; I took a manly book to read; and you should have seen my "scruffiness" when I left the woods this morning (I'd put off shaving for a week or so before hand). See, I'm not a woman, just a complex man -- at least that's my take :)

4 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Haha!

You did all that, but you whined about it a little bit!

More power to you, though. I am not fond of camping. I don't mind the outdoors (love beautiful scenery), but I can't do extreme weather camping and I have to pee too often to be a good camper.

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caff. next time you find you must vacate your semi-cozy tent and bag you might think about heating some rocks. (Provided your tent is fire retardant that is.) Pile them in the corner and zip it up. The rocks will warm the interior. Then all you have to do is chuck them out when you are ready to sleep and the tent is warm. Or not it's up to you.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Gosh, Mel, of COURSE I whined about it! That's why we do half the stuff we do -- so we can whine and get sympathy from others. What do I get (note the whine)? Guff from you about whining and practical advice from Crystal. Geesh!

BTW, good to have you back Crystal; thought you might have been abducted by aliens or something.

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks it's nice to be missed.
Not abducted exactly just working. And reading (A Secret History). How was your holiday (aside from you jaunt in the woods)?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home