Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

All quiet ...

Things are pretty quiet here in the old building since the CIS folks moved out. Of course the students aren't back yet, but for the time being it's pretty darned peaceful.

Not much to report today. As you may have noticed, I tinkered around a bit with the layout of the blog. I'm not fluent in HTML, but I poked around the template page and kept changing numbers until I finally found a combination that made my "writing screen" wider without taking away the sidebar to the right. Oh, I also finally got around to linking to Melusina. See, if you comment, and write interesting blog posts of your own, I will recognize you. [CF and Winemaker, this doesn't apply if you never write on your blog.]

Hmm, what's going on in the wide world? Well, I did see this today. Evidently the old homes in New Orleans weathered the hurricane better than many of the newer structures:

The structure of her home was, for the most part, intact. To withstand hurricanes and flooding, her 1923 Craftsman-style bungalow - in one of the city's many historical neighborhoods - had been built with a mix of impervious materials, such as plaster, cypress, and slate.

In fact, these homes will be some of the easiest to save in New Orleans, preservation experts say and should be among the first. They are the city's cornerstones, and their rebirth is New Orleans' rebirth.

Gives me hope for my little 1928 house when the big one hits Decatur.

Also, this just seems wrong. Excuse me; I know there's a Narnia movie now, but there's really no need to write a book based on the movie because it's already been done! True, I haven't read the new book, but I think this excerpt makes it pretty clear this is a completely unnecessary retelling of the story. They made a movie based on a book and now they've written a book based on the movie. Why?

Sorry to be brief, but I'm not feeling 100% today.

2 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, once I set up a separate email account just to cope with the inordinate amount of responses from my blog I'll start writing on it again. Hmm, I get lots of people reading and commenting to me personally but no one but you, Caff, posts. But I'm flattered that you think some of them are interesting.

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger melusina said...

Thanks for the linkage!

I notice that Narnia book has one star, I guess most people find it unnecessary like you do! I suppose it is meant to be a summary of some sort...because I can't imagine any other reason for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home