Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Quick rant

I have no real feeling about the whole Star Spangled Banner in Spanish controversy, but today's rant does involve The Banner. If you are going to sing our national anthem at an assembly, LEARN THE LYRICS! Today was Honors Day at my college and one of our students opened the convocation with a soulful rendition of The Star Spangled Banner. She had the whole "wail like Whitney" thing down pat, but she kept flubbing the lyrics. Seriously, she messed up at least three times! It irked me.

Speaking of Honors Day, I did NOT win the Teaching Excellence Award. I didn't expect to win, but this may well have been my one and only chance. The student who nominated me is one of those rare students who actually enjoys being challenged in a class that requires more than just minimum effort. Oh well, the nomination is the real honor, right?

3 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am outraged! How could you NOT win the Teaching Excellence Award? Don't they know you're a Taylor Medalist, for crying out loud?!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

I appreciate your outrage, Ang, but unfortunately the Taylor Medal doesn't carry much weight once one leaves the state of Mississippi.

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK I'm not sure what a Taylor Medal is but I will join in Ang's outrage. And I've actually take your class (or two)! The second one on purpose even... OK bad joke! At any rate you have my true and honest sympathies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home