Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Fun Friday

Well I made it to Friday! Course I still have to grade those stats tests, but NOT TODAY! No, today I concentrated on fun. Cousin Kari (y'all remember Cousin Kari from the day I fell in Caney Creek) came over to visit today. She wanted to see the Charles Seifried photography exhibit at the local "visual arts center":
Photographer Charles Seifried of Decatur has lived and traveled around the world, but many of his favorite spots are in the Tennessee Valley.

You can see a lot of his landscapes and scenes in the new exhibit at the Carnegie Visual Arts Center. Seifried's "Vistas, Visions and Views" will be on display through May 13.

"I'm a commercial photographer who mostly shoots for corporate America," he said. On his list are Boeing, Chrysler and Southern Living, as well as promotional shots for the Alabama Department of Tourism and Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail.

But this exhibit shows his love for the beauty of nature.

Prior to seeing the exhibit, I only knew Seifried through his Sipsey book. It's a wonderful picture book of a beautiful area and though the hiking information is a bit spotty, it is the closest think to a Sipsey guidebook that I have found. Anyway, the photo exhibit was very nice. I liked the Sipsey photos, but I really enjoyed getting to see some of his other stuff. Cousin Kari, of course, baffled me with her technical discussions of photography techniques, but I got more out of it by going with her than I would have on my own.

Anyway, that was the big event of the day. Now I'm gonna' have to come up with other excuses to avoid grading those tests for another day or two. I'm sure I'll do just fine with that.

1 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least for today's excuse you could go out to the Sipsey because you were so inspired by all the pictures to seek out some remote rock and water! And tomorrow mudding in Lucinda! Or vice versa!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home