Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Monday, April 24, 2006

So worth the money

Please don't remind me of this claim in the future when the engine falls out and I'm carping about massive repair bills, but the Jeep was a GREAT purchase! I had to grade stats tests this past weekend and that prevented me from going to play in the woods, but I did take the Jeep out Saturday and Sunday -- the weather was just too good not to.

After grading most of Saturday morning and watching the Cards' game in the early afternoon, I decided that I had to get outside. I hopped in Jeep and decided to explore a secondary road south of Decatur that sort of runs along the TN River. In my younger days, just getting out and riding around for no purpose with no destination in mind was a regular source of entertainment. Now, though, I can't tell you how long it'd been since I just went riding around. Turns out it's still as much fun as I remember -- AND I was in a Jeep with the top down!

Anyway, I'd been across River Road once as a shortcut from South Huntsville when I lived over that way, but I wasn't that familiar with all the turns. Still, I knew my general route was bordered by the TN River on one side and AL Hwy 36 on the other, so I couldn't really get lost. I was doing okay until I came to a "bridge out/detour" sign and that kind of threw me off my route. When I finally came out somewhere I recognized, I realized I was a lot further west than I'd planned. In fact, I was almost in Huntsville, so I figured I might as well go visit some friends. I found a pay phone (go ahead and make your jokes) and called a couple of folks, but no one was home. Not to be defeated, I noticed another little side road heading south and I thought I should just ride down toward Morgan City and see if former neighbors Larry and Deb were home.

I had never been on the road I picked, but (again) it was headed in the right general direction. It turns out the road was a great shortcut to Morgan City and I came out just a mile or so from Larry and Deb's. As another plus, they were home so my trip wasn't in vain. They were, though, going to a car show in Arab, so I didn't hang around long.

Sunday I thought the "riding around" urge was out of my system, but then the weather turned out to be even nicer than it was Saturday. I decided I'd go check out some authentic dirt roads on the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge. I had been on those roads before and I knew they actually ran right up against the river. It was a nice day and lots of folks were out. In fact, all the spots where the river is easily accessible were kind of crowded. That was a bummer until I remembered I was in a Jeep. I spotted a nice riverside spot just off the road, but to get to it you had to drive down a sort of steep gravel bar. In the Kia I'd have had to park and walk, but not in Lucinda. No, I just turned left and drove right down to the water. I then spent a half hour or so sitting on the front bumper just watching the water and occasionally skipping rocks. I know it doesn't sound that exciting, but it was a great tonic for the "end of the semester blues". Yep, I'm thinking Lucinda may be cheaper, in the long run, than therapy sessions.

So now, even though it's Monday ALL DAY LONG, I'm in a good mood that not even this morning's econ test could dent. Of course that usually means a giant metaphorical (I hope) rock is about to land right square on my head, but I'm going to ignore that possibility and enjoy my good mood while it lasts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home