Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Friday, April 14, 2006

I'll Never Learn

Believe it or not, I am not completely stupid. Yes, I know I sometimes do a good job of hiding that fact, but it's true. None the less, I'm going to wade into a "male/female" topic once again. We'll see if I survive.

Most mornings I listen to one of the music stations on my TV while getting ready to leave the house. Fridays, though, I tend to hang around the house a little longer. Hence, this morning I ended up flipping through some of the news channels -- CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc. I don't remember which channel it was on (I doubt it was CNN because I'd like to think Soledad would not have done an interview with this woman), but I saw an author pushing her new book: The Truth Behind the Rock : Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Engagements. According to the book's preface, this is not a "how to catch a man" book, nor is it another version of "the rules". So what kind of book is this? I'll let Ms. Kaminsky tell you:

So now that we have that out of the way, let me be the first to assure you that The Truth Behind the Rock is the opposite kind of book from what you're probably used to. It isn't going to tell you how to do things differently or mock your pain as you wait and wonder when your guy is going to get off his ass and propose. The Truth Behind the Rock will give women a peek behind the curtain at what real couples go through on the road to engagement. You'll hear stories from both sexes about that uncomfortable, hazy time between wanting to be married and actually getting engaged, as well as every scenario in between. So rest assured this book has a little something for everybody.


Given that, can you imagine what the author and the interviewer talked about? I'll tell you. They discussed strategies to get a man to propose! What happened to the "different" kind of book? Doesn't seem that different to me. Not only does this seem to be just another "how to turn your loser boyfriend into a worthy husband" book, her suggestions were inane. Ms. Kaminsky is very much against ultimatums. Instead, she prefers subtle hints. Here are a few (they were so ludicrous I took notes):

  1. Make loud and frequent mentions of any friends who have recently become engaged.
  2. "Dog ear" random magazine ads for diamonds, just to let him know you're interested.
  3. If those don't work, box him in. Take him for a long drive or a plane flight (really, she suggested a flight) and bring up the subject while you have him trapped in a car or plane!

I was amazed! How can this woman claim to be selling something new when she's just spewing this tired old crap? If she is serious about coming up with ways to get your man to marry you though, I've got a suggestion for her: start dating me! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

LATE ADDITION: I originally thought the 3rd "subtle" hint was the most ridiculous, but on reflection I think that honor goes to hint #2. Why does #2 win the "most absurd" award? Because it'll never work -- guys don't read magazines that carry ads for diamonds! Besides, if I saw an ad for diamonds I'd just go off on a rant about the DeBeer's diamond cartel and conflict diamonds and such. Of course that might go some way toward explaining why I'm still single, huh?

8 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So far so good! Since I just talked to you this morning I sure you have survived this post!

It's amazing how similar men and women are. They both seem to want to get married and yet they sit on there duffs alone. Mmmmm. Will the "battle of the sexes" ever be won?

Do I sound pissy? GOOD! Last weekend a friend of mine (recent) got dumped by his girlfriend (of five years) and he said the same things many of my female friends have said (and being female, I've said myself). NOW, Caff, someone I thought I could count on to steer clear of trite comments spews the worst one!

Good grief! What is the world coming to...what ever happened to saying to someone..."They I like you; would you like to go out sometime; Hey why don't we go get a cup of coffee and chat awhile"? You know "dating" has to start with the FIRST DATE!

I give up on you people! I'm going to live a hermit all the rest of my life!

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Whoa, Crystal, have you taken to smoking crack? I really don't know what you're getting at in your comment -- especially this part:

"NOW, Caff, someone I thought I could count on to steer clear of trite comments spews the worst one!"

Which trite comment (the WORST even) did I spew? Was it my crack about the DeBeer's cartel being the reason I'm still single? That was (supposed to be) a joke. Or maybe my claim that men don't read magazines with diamond ads? I must say I'm stumped.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger melusina said...

I don't know. No man was ever going to win me with an expensive diamond ring anyway. Give me a nice computer, DVd player, something I can USE and don't have to worry about losing it when I take it off to do dishes or take a shower or whatever. I don't mind family heirlooms, and that is the ring I ended up with, so all is well.

Personally, I think two people who are meant to be married will get married - no games when it is the real thing. When it is time, it is time, and both partners should be ready, or it just won't work. Look at the divorce rate.

If I were a guy it would just annoy me to no end to have a woman hinting, subtle or otherwise, to marriage. If she wants to get married so badly she can try her hand at proposing and see what happens. How and why books like this get published and purchased is beyond me.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

A HA! I think I might have figured out what raised Crystal's ire -- please CF tell me if I'm right. I think it might have been:

"If she is serious about coming up with ways to get your man to marry you though, I've got a suggestion for her: start dating me!"

Was that it? Did you think I was so desperate to get hitched that I was saying I'd propose to any female willing to date me? If so, rest easy. I was simply making reference to my recent "unfortunate" dating experience (see post of Mar. 24). I can see now how not everyone would get that reference. Sorry if that caused you to doubt my sanity. There are many better reasons to do that.

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't responded earlier. Yes that was the comment that got me from you but what irked me so badly was the stupid suggestions made by the asinine woman. It knocked all reason out of me. Who in their right mind wants a man so dumb to fall for that kind of crap. I guess I was in whine overload.

By the way I didn't think you were so desperate to propose to just anyone. If that were the case you would have already been married and made your mother extremely happy!

I'm well aware of your recent mishap but come to think of it. If you truly want to date someone there are several ways to do this. (and I'm using a general you)There are several ways to meet new people. I'm tired of the silly games people play and then whine about why someone else doesn't get it. ARRRGG. Yet if you ask them they are as straight forward as anyone can be!

Take this for example. Recently a friend of mine decided he wanted to date me. OK cool, he's a nice guy and I have an affinity for the quintessentially nice guy. So does he call me (my phone number is something he's had for YEARS)? NO, he tells my best friend that he can't believe I haven't caught on to how much he likes me! Give me a break! I'm bright but not a damn mind reader. Not once has he said "they have dinner with me" or "I'd like to spend more time with you" or "I'd like to take our friendship to the next level" or any number of ways to talk to me. He's told me everything else in is life why is this the one that is so difficult?!? What are we in High School? Send me a note with a yes box and a no box and let me check one! But don't sulk that I don't catch on when you haven't said anything!

OK I think I've gone off the deep end. Sorry.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Hey now, don't knock the "I like you, do you like me -- yes ___ or no ____" notes. Those got me a lot more action in 1st grade than I've had since. Of course I was a bit disheartened when Becky Wright returned my note with YES checked and the number 12 beside it. When I inquired I found I was the 12th boy she had checked YES to. Oh well ...

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is it that every guy has a good they were stuck on in grammer school named Becky Wright? Is this a name you pull out of thin air? Or did this girl travel around the country every other day to tantalize the heart of young boys? Serendipity incarnate? Please explain this to me, after all we both know how stupid I am.

 
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, "Becky." You know what that's slang for...(and no, it isn't something "dirty"!). Sheesh...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home