Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Pretty smart, huh?

Scott Adams, of Dilbert fame, has a blog post on acting smart. Essentially it's a primer on how to make people think you are smarter than you are. The whole thing is amusing, but here are my two favorite tips.

First:

[Y]ou must learn to stop talking so much. Talking is the surest way to inadvertently showcase profound ignorance.

The smartest man I've ever known (well at least in high school) lived by that philosophy. I'm still struggling to apply the lesson.

Finally, Mr. Adams suggests:

It’s important to agree with people if you want them to think you are a genius. For most people, the definition of smart is “Thinks exactly like me but even more so.” If you think that disagreeing and offering excellent reasons for your thinking will change anyone’s mind, you might be new on this planet.

Okay that one was tongue-in-cheek, but it made me chuckle and that's about all I can ask during final exam week.

Peace.

2 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I looooove the Dilbert blog and Mr. Adams. You two are the only ones I read. Hmmm... do i have a thing for economists?

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Stella, why didn't you discover your "thing for economists" when you were single? GEESH!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home