Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Unbelievably sad

First, there was the near certainty of doom, then there was the joyous news of miraculous survival, and finally the awful correction:
Great joy turned to deep sorrow and rage Wednesday morning when mining families here were told inaccurately that 12 of the 13 miners trapped in a coal mine were alive only to be informed, hours later, that they were dead.

It was all the result of a "miscommunication," a mining company official said. He and others thought they heard a transmission from rescuers that the 12 were alive.

They learned the truth a half hour later but waited three hours to inform the families, who were celebrating the "miracle, " dancing and singing Amazing Grace in front of the Sago Baptist Church, which was ringing its bells.

As many of you know, I spend a good bit of my vacation time most summers in WV. Though I haven't been to this particular area, I have driven a lot of the narrow, twisty roads in the coal mining regions. It's like a different world -- a return to very small-town life in company towns. Even with my tangential connection I felt the elation when reading the "good news" this morning. I can't imagine the soul-crushing devastation of the locals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home